Wednesday, May 31, 2006

i wish i could blame T, but...

i've looked into it, and for ONCE, he's not the problem (hah). the only common thread in the issue is all the people having problems are firefox users. seems the "autoplay" attribute in HTML is originally a netscape creation picked up by IE. mozilla did not incorporate it into their code when they made firefox, so it doesn't recognize it. when your HTML reader doesn't recognize something, it can do one of two things, crash or ignore it. for aesthetic purposes (and probably the fact that HTML is primarily self-taught so standard coding protocols aren't strictly adhered to), firefox chooses to ignore the attribute rather than crash. for us firefox people out there, you'll have to download this extension. it gives you the option to load the video in the background and play at your leisure or to not load it at all until you hit play, then stream it. hope that helps.

ChumpAssFool can correct me on any obvious misstatements i might have above. ironically, I'M self-teaching myself HTML from the HTML Black Book, so that is my source of info. later kiddies.

2 comments:

B Town Chump said...

You are 100% correct! I knew the autoplay function must have been a browser issue (but I thought it was just some setting that was different). I didn't realize it was because firefox didn't incorporate the tag. I hate to admit this, but IE is really the best browser out there. Not because it is better than any other (at one time I was a die-hard netscape fan) but simply because it's the most used and basically the browsing standard. It's the same reason that everyone has the Windows operating system. Not because it works the best, but because everybody else uses it.

J Ho said...

I knew it was with Firefox. I figured i had a setting to chage or something, but it only happened with the videos from break.com. now i need to put a video up from break.com to see if it stopped it from happening. its annoying to have vidoes playing everytime i get on the site, and a few times firefox crashed. i remember how everyone hated when my photos overstepped the border, and that didn't have sound.